Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Infertility Companion has arrived! Chapter 1 overview

And yes... I do feel like it is the exact companion I have been needing! I have zoomed through the 1st 3 chapters in 1 night. I am going to give a brief overview of each chapter as I work through it. I am already feeling so much more educated on my emotional responses to all of this and I cannot wait to see what else I will learn through reading this. It has already helped so much :)

Chapter 1 Where We've Been: Your Companions in the Ditch 

Chapter one gives a short bio on the Authors of this book. It establishes credibility for both authors, "Sandra" (theinfertility patient) and "Dr. Bill" (the Christian RE).

Some things that stood out to me were:

"I had been told that infertility patients are second only to cancer patients in terms of what they will endure for a cure, and I found them to have a pretty high level of sophistication."
I can see this being true. All the fertility meds, surgeries, and monthly devastation after devastation, it is a hard road for anyone to go down, and yet most continue down it regardless.

"...grief is a friend. I've learned to trust it to take me to the other side of emotional health."
This really stood out to me because I have never cried and laughed at the same time until all of this started. I have always shyed away from becoming to emotionally charged around other people; however, upon the topic of infertility, I cannot control my outburst AT ALL. And I seem to feel somewhat better after them. So many times I have bawled my eyes out and gasped for air while Mr. R is holding me, just to look up at him with a smile a few minutes later and say... "I feel better now."

"The Weaver is making something beautiful of you're life too. It doesnt seem to make since now, and parts of it will never make since on this side of eternity. You're in the midst of knots and tangles, looking at the incomplete picture from the back side. And there are no magic words to make the pain go away. But while you're there, being stretched on the Weaver's loom, know that you are not alone." I definitely shed some tears after reading this one, lol. I here encouragement of God's providence over and over again, and at times I just want to say "I know, I know...", But for some reason this really resignated with me. This one is definitely getting a spot on my bathroom mirror :)

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights." Habakkuk 3:17-19
This book references scripture constantly. I love that about it.

And to explain the idea of the "companion in the ditch." There is a little story about a farmer who is driving along and sees that his neighbor has accidentally driven a tractor into a ditch. The neighbor is hopelessly stuck. The farmer does not have a tow chain or a rope, so he does all that he can do - he gets out of his car, climbs into the cab of the tractor, and sits with his friend in the ditch." This book strives to provide some comfort and companionship in the ditch that is infertility.

There were many other noteworthy writings in Chapter one. I would have to copy the entire chapter to make sure all good information was passed along (and I'm pretty sure that is illegal, or I would do it). Stay tuned for an overview of Chapter 2: The Wedded Unmother, Myths and Facts.

You can purchase this book from here if you would like to have a copy for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment